Solution Talk SENDs Mediation & Disagreement Resolution Service


If you are unhappy about decisions made about an Education and Health Care Plan or the way you or your child’s Educational Needs / Disabilities are being provided for then the information below will be of use to you.

Solution Talk provide an independent mediation and disagreement resolution service, which is free of charge for parents/carers and young people. Our service helps to settle disagreements between parents or young people and local authorities and schools or other education providers. These disputes are often about the special educational needs and disability (SEND) of children and young people, and how best to meet their needs. 

Our SEND mediators are accredited by the College Of Mediators & Civil Mediation Council. They are listed on their register of Special Educational Needs & Disability Mediation Providers, which demonstrates that they work to the required professional practice standards, supported by the Department for Education.

MEDIATION AND DISAGREEMENT RESOLUTION are positive ways of resolving disagreements by bringing people together to better understand each others perspectives and come to agreement.

MEDIATION can help following decisions made by the local authority that you disagree with in relation to an Education and Health Care (EHC) Plan or Needs Assessment. Our impartial and independent mediators will bring everyone involved, together to have their say, be heard and understood and have input about important decisions that affect them.  

Solution Talk will arrange a meeting at a mutually convenient time and place, ensure everyone is treated fairly and assist them in working towards solutions that everyone is happy with. They will record what has been agreed and provide everyone in attendance with a copy of the agreement. Taking part in mediation does not affect your right to go to tribunal.

If you choose to proceed directly to First Tier Tribunal, it is now a requirement that you obtain unbiased and independent information about mediation. You must do this within 2 months of the local authority decision letter. The Mediation Information and Advice Service (MIAS) is normally done over the telephone and takes about 20 minutes and will give you the opportunity to ask questions. If you decide mediation is not for you, Solution Talk will issue a MIAS Certificate within 3 working days and this will enable you to submit your appeal to tribunal, which must be done within 30 days.

DISAGREEMENT RESOLUTION is a voluntary process and is available to all children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND), not just those with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan or who are being assessed. This can help resolve different types of disagreements or prevent them from escalating further. Solution Talk Disagreement and Resolution meetings are conducted in the same way as mediation meetings.

For more information on your local SENDs mediation providers please contact your local authority.

Email us  for a PDF copy of our SEND information leaflet.

Our Privacy Policy - for a copy of our Privacy Policy please email us -